Cedar Springs has been richly blessed to have had John Wood as its Senior Pastor for the past 27 years. During the course of his leadership, the church has experienced significant physical and spiritual growth. However, after decades of faithful service to Cedar Springs and the city of Knoxville, John will be retiring in April 2018. In anticipation of his retirement, the church has begun the process of searching for its next Senior Pastor.
PASTORAL SEARCH TEAM
A Pastoral Search Team was elected by the congregation in January and was tasked with seeking the Lord to find John’s successor as next Senior Pastor of Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church. The team is comprised of members of different generations, as well as the various ministries at Cedar Springs.
Biographies of the Search Team members are available here.
You can contact the Pastoral Search team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PASTORAL SEARCH TEAM REPORTS
Praying the Psalms
Please join the team as they pray these Psalms of Ascent:
Sunday - Psalm 121 - Our help comes from you, O God
Monday - Psalm 123 - We look to you, O God
Tuesday - Psalm 125 - We trust in you, O God
Wednesday - Psalm 127 - You build this house, O God
Thursday - Psalm 130 - We wait for you, O God
Friday - Psalm 131 - Our hope is in you, O God
Saturday - Psalm 133 - We are one in you, O God
Continued Prayer Requests
For the Pastoral Search Team
- Pray that we will have the mind of Christ and be unified (Psalm 133)
- Pray for wisdom to choose the right person
- Pray for discipline in our team and our church leadership
For the next pastor
- Pray that God will increase his passion for preaching the Word of God
- Pray that God will give him a love for CSPC and strength to leave his current position
- Pray that he would begin relationships at CSPC in the right way
- Pray that God would prepare our future pastor to shepherd the flock effectively
- Pray for the next pastor’s family, especially his spouse, that she would also be convinced of the Lord’s leading for this move, and that she would quickly be integrated into the community here.
For members of CSPC
- Pray for patience
- Pray that all would place a high priority on biblical preaching
- Pray that we are objective and eager to learn and hear the Word
- Pray that God would give us a deeper love for and dependence upon him as we move through a season of transition
Before a Search Team was elected, a preliminary Transition Team was selected. The team consisted of 23 members who faithfully represented the population of the church. This team spent the summer and early fall of 2016 informally surveying the members of Cedar Springs. They collected input on the interviewee's thoughts on the church’s current state, and where it should go in the future. After compiling this feedback, the team worked to compile the information into a meaningful and actionable report for the use of the future Pastoral Search Team.
A copy of the Transition Team report is available here.